The Bella Vista Girls Home
The Bella Vista Girls Home was started in 1920 in response to a boy’s attempt to care for his brothers and sisters after the death of his mother. By, 1995, the home had more than six hundred (600) children in residence; and in 1996 a new housing facility was constructed in San Andres, located in Las Cumbres, Republic of Panama.
A committee of board members establishes the rules that are to be followed and the Director is responsible for the fulfillment of the established rules. At the home, the girls developmental and socio-economic needs are met. They learn to live as a family, develop like skills, and attend local public schools. Recreational activities and educational trips are also part of their developmental process. They are frequent visitors to museums, theaters, parks and other recreational areas.
The home is under the auspices of the Episcopal Church in Panama, of which Bishop Rt. Rev. Julio E. Murray Th. is the head. The Rev. Nelson Edwards is the Chaplain of the girls home. He serves as a guide for the girls spiritual development.
Bishop Julio Murray outside the Home with the girls
Christmas 2002 Celebration at the Bella Vista Girls Home